Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Health Information

Health Information

Emergency Medical Information Center

English speaking doctors are available 24 hours a day to assist foreigners and provide them with relevant medical information in emergencies 24 hours a day. 

  • Within Korea, dial 119

A list of physicians (PDF-212.72KB) and dentists (PDF-112.72KB) known to speak acceptable English has been prepared by the U.S. Embassy to assist American citizens.  This list is not meant to be an exhaustive one, nor should inclusion in the list be construed as official Embassy endorsement or recommendation of specific physicians and dentists.  The U.S. Embassy in Seoul assumes no responsibility for the professional ability or integrity of the persons or hospitals whose names appear on the list.

Information on Controlled Substances

Certain prescription drugs are considered controlled substances and subject to the regulations established by the Korean Food and Drug Administration and the Korean Customs Service.  The procedures outlined below for importing/shipping medications or hand-carrying medications into the Republic of Korea are subject to change without notice.  We recommend that you plan in advance and confirm the procedures with the relevant Korean authorities before bringing any drugs into the Republic of Korea.

Carrying prescription drugs into the Republic of Korea:

For narcotic medications, visitors must submit a written application to the Narcotics Control Division of the Korean Food and Drug Administration (KFDA) before traveling.  Please contact the KFDA for application procedure and up-to-date information at 82-43-719-2813 or by e-mail at

For medications that do not contain narcotics or amphetamines, up to six bottles of medication (or equivalent to a three-month supply) will be permitted into Korea, provided they are for personal use only.  Visitors must bring the original prescriptions, a letter from your doctor specifying the medical condition, and a statement from your doctor on the medicines you are importing.

The Korean Customs Service at Incheon Airport has authority over which medications will be allowed to be carried into the country.  You may wish to consult with your U.S. doctor regarding substitute medicines, or sources of local equivalent medicines in Korea.

For more information, please look into their website

Contact Us

  • The U.S. Embassy does not offer phone or email consultations.  Answers to general inquiries can be found on our ACS Frequently Asked Questions page on the tab to the left.  For inquiries regarding specific cases that are not addressed on our website, please email us at

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    You may download a free version by clicking the link above.