Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Reporting a Birth

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)


Electronic devices such as cameras, cell phones, laptops, and MP3 players may not be brought inside the Embassy.  Please leave these items at home or make arrangements for their storage before arriving at the Embassy.  Doing so will result in speedier processing into the Embassy.  The Embassy has no capacity to store your devices.

The U.S. Embassy in Seoul strongly encourages all U.S. citizens who have children born in the Republic of South Korea to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) as soon as possible after the birth of the child.  A CRBA is an official record confirming that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth.  It can be issued only at a U.S. Embassy or a Consular Office overseas, and only before the child reaches 18 years of age.  Please note that the U.S. Embassy Seoul can approve or deny CRBA applications only for children born in Korea.  If a child was born in another country, we can only collect the application and supporting documents and forward them to the U.S. Embassy in that country for adjudication.

Only the child’s parent(s) or legal guardian(s) may apply on the child’s behalf. Child’s parent(s) or legal guardian(s) along with the child must be present to sign the application before a U.S. consular officer.  Please go to our appointment page to schedule an appointment.  Please note that both parents and the child must come in person to the appointment.

Parents are encouraged to apply for their child’s U.S. Passport and a Social Security Number at the same time as applying for his/her CRBA.

Forms: (Complete but DO NOT SIGN)

  • Form DS-2029: Application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Passport application must be filled out using the Passport Wizard.  Once completed, please print the application form, but DO NOT sign.  Applications filled out by hand will not be accepted.  If you have not yet applied for your child’s social security number, please enter 000-00-0000 as the social security number in the passport application.

    • U.S. regulations require the consent of both parents/legal guardians for the issuance of a U.S. passport to a minor child. If you are the non-applying parent or guardian providing written consent for your minor child to apply for a U.S. passport because you are unable to appear in person with your child, please submit a notarized Form DS-3053 (Statement of Consent) (PDF-41.23KB). The parent submitting the application materials to the U.S. Embassy must bring the notarized consent form along with a copy of the absent parent’s ID used during the notary. If you are the applying parent or guardian, and the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained in a timely manner, you need to submit Form DS-5525 (Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances) (PDF-40.87KB).
  • One photo - 2" x 2” (5cm x 5cm) photograph.  The background must be plain white and should not show parents or parents' hands.  The baby's eyes must be open. Polaroid photos cannot be used.
  • Form SS-5 (PDF-200.9K): Application for a Social Security Card
    Social Security Card applications are forwarded to the regional Social Security Administration (SSA) office in Manila Philippines for processing.  For all social security related questions including the status of the social security card, please contact the Manila SSA office.

    Note: You cannot apply for a social security number without a passport (ID for newborns).  The SS-5 can only be submitted if you are applying for both the Consular Report of Birth Abroad and US passport.

Documents: (Originals or certified copy. All original documents will be reviewed by a consular officer and returned to the applicant.)

  • Evidence of your child’s birth

    • This can be an original U.S. military hospital or Korean hospital birth certificate.  A Korean certificate must be signed by the doctor and sealed with the official hospital stamp on the letter and must be accompanied by an English translation. 

      Please make sure that the child’s name and both parents’ names on the hospital birth certificate are consistent with the names on the submitted applications and IDs.  Our office will not accept the hospital birth certificates that do not include the child’s name at birth or if the parent’s names are spelled incorrectly.
  • Mother’s prenatal and hospital records (e.g., ultrasounds, prescriptions, evidence of pre-natal doctor visits, hospital discharge documents, vaccination card, etc.).  If the child was conceived through in vitro fertilization (IVF) or another similar method, please bring your medical records, including a statement from the doctor or clinic indicating the names of the egg and sperm donors.
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship of the parent(s): (One of the following:original or certified copy)

    • Passport
    • U.S. Birth Certificate (Please Note: Hospitals in the United States sometimes issue a commemorative "certificate of birth" which often has the baby's footprints.  This hospital-issued certificate is not a proof of citizenship. Certified birth certificates are issued by the State or County government, not a hospital.)
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    • Certificate of Naturalization
    • Certificate of Citizenship 
  • Parents’ current and previous passports (previous passport(s) needed if current passport does not cover the time of conception and pregnancy)
  • Evidence of couple’s relationship prior to the conception of the child.
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Divorce decrees/Death Certificates (for all previous marriages)

    • If you have been married before, please bring all past divorce decrees or death certificates (original copies). 
    • For Korean citizens, a Family Census Register is acceptable (an English translation must be included.  The translation does not need to be notarized.) 
    • If you are divorced from the child’s biological parent, please bring a court order establishing custody and guardianship of the child applying for the CRBA.
  • Fee: $205 ($100 CRBA and $105 Passport)  All fees are payable in U.S. dollars or Korean won at the Embassy’s exchange rate.  A combination of U.S. dollars and Korean won will not be accepted.  The Embassy also accepts payment by US or International Master/Visa credit card.
  • Evidence of the American parent’s physical presence in the U.S.

    • If the parents are married and only one parent is a U.S. citizen and the other is not, the U.S. citizen parent must provide evidence of his or her actual presence in the U.S. for five years (two of them after the age of 14) before the birth.
    • If the parents are not married and the mother is a U.S. citizen, she must present evidence of one year's continual physical presence in the United States. (However, the mother of a child born out of wedlock cannot use time spent abroad as a military member or dependent to satisfy all or part of the requirement of continuous physical presence in the United States for 1 year.)
    • If the parents are not married and the father is a U.S. citizen, more evidence as such as written affidavits, may be requested along with the five years physical presence requirement.

Please note: Based on the evidence provided, it is up to the reviewing officer to determine if the eligibility for transmission of citizenship requirement has been met.  If more information is required, these additional items, along with any missing documents, will be explained to you with an itemized list indicating the document(s) necessary to complete your child's application.  You have 90 calendar days from the submission of your application to complete the process.

DNA Examinations

  • In some instances it is not possible to conclusively determine the U.S. citizenship of a child at birth based on the documents submitted. In these cases, the Consular Officer may request a DNA exam to establish parentage.  This will involve the supervised taking of saliva samples from the parties involved by an accredited laboratory.  Please do not conduct independent DNA exams, as only results from Embassy requested tests can be used to determine a genetic relationship for citizenship purposes.

Upon receipt of a complete application, you will receive the Consular Report of Birth Abroad and U.S. passport for your child in three to four weeks.  A return delivery courier slip (available at the Embassy) filled out by you will be used to return your child’s CRBA and passport.  Please note that you will pay for this service in cash directly to the courier upon delivery.

Your child’s social security card will be mailed to the address provided on the SS-5 application form directly by the office of the Social Security Administration.  For all social security related questions including the status of the social security card, please contact the Manila SSA office.

To Make an Appointment

Contact Us

  • The U.S. Embassy does not offer phone or email consultations.  Answers to general inquiries can be found on our ACS Frequently Asked Questions page on the tab to the left.  For inquiries regarding specific cases that are not addressed on our website, please email us at

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    You may download a free version by clicking the link above.