The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs is currently experiencing technical problems with our overseas passport systems. This issue is not specific to any particular country or citizenship document. We apologize for the inconvenience and are working urgently to correct the problem and restore full operability.
U.S. passport applications accepted overseas on or after May 26, 2015 are affected by this delay. If you applied for a U.S. passport overseas during this time frame and have travel plans within the next 10 business days, please consider requesting an emergency passport at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate at which you originally applied. Information about how to apply for an emergency passport is available further down on this page (Please see “Emergency Passport Request” paragraph below).
All U.S. passport applications submitted at the U.S. embassies and consulates are sent to the United States for processing. Upon receipt of a completed application, processing generally takes two weeks for passport applications submitted in Seoul. American citizens in the Republic of Korea should seek early renewal of expiring passports. Please keep in mind that many countries require passports to be valid for at least six months beyond the travel dates.
Passport application forms are available at Department of State Passport Wizard. Applicants have two options to complete a passport application form :
1) Print PDF of the application form and complete by hand; OR,
2) Complete Application Online via the Passport Wizard and print it out. The Passport Wizard will walk you through the process of filling out any passport service form electronically and put the information into a barcode that we can upload instantly when you come in to apply for your passport. For assistance, please refer to the instructions for using the Passport Wizard.
After filling out your application, bring it with you to the Embassy with an appointment or if applicable, send it via one of the courier services.
- Official and Diplomatic passport applications can only be filled out using the Passport Wizard. Handwritten applications are only accepted for tourist passport applications.
- You have 90 calendar days from the submission of your application to complete the process.
- Average passport processing time is about 2-3 weeks upon receipt of a completed application. If you have not received your passport in 3 weeks and wish to know the status of your passport, please send an email to email@example.com. You must use the same email address that you listed on your passport application. Please provide your full name, Date of Birth, and type of passport (e.g., tourist, official or diplomatic).
- Emergency Passport Request: Please schedule an appointment on the Embassy’s appointment page and appear in person to explain your urgent need for travel. Bring a travel itinerary in addition to the online passport application and supporting documents/fee listed on our website.
- A return delivery courier slip filled out by you will be used to return your passport. Please note that you will pay for this service in cash directly to the courier upon delivery.
To Make an Appointment
Click here to make an appointment.
Please remember to write down your automatically generated password.