Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

Ambassador Mark Lippert Message

Welcome to the Visa Section!

The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Seoul wants to help you have an enjoyable and productive trip to the United States. Whether you plan to visit the United States temporarily with a nonimmigrant visa, or you plan to relocate permanently with an immigrant visa, we are committed to making the visa application process as smooth and efficient as possible.

Most Koreans traveling on business or tourism for less than 90 days do not require a visa and may use the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) instead.  For information regarding travel without a visa, please visit our Visa Waiver Program page for more details. 

Nonimmigrant visas are available for those traveling to the U.S. to study, work, or participate in an exchange program for a specific period of time.  Immigrant visas are for those who plan to live and work permanently in the United States. Anyone who wishes to enter the United States to reside there permanently must apply for an immigrant visa.


Report Fraud

  • Thread

    Overheard a conversation that sounds suspicious?

    Concerned that someone you know is breaking U.S. immigration law? Do the right thing by reporting incidents of fraud or abuse of U.S. visa and passport law to the U.S. Embassy. 

    Email us at or call the hotline at 02-397-4505. Please provide as much detail as possible. The information you provide will help protect both the United States and the Republic of Korea while facilitating legitimate travel.

Video Clip

Travel & Tourism in the U.S.

  • Tourism Badge

Application Status Check

  • Thread

    Starting December 20, 2012, applicants for immigrant visas (IVs) and nonimmigrant visas (NIVs) can view the status of their visa cases through the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC) by entering their CEAC Barcode and the interview location for nonimmigrant visa cases and the case number for immigrant visa cases.

    Please note, all nonimmigrant cases created within the past year that have not been closed will be available in CEAC Visa Status Check.  Nonimmigrant visa cases that have been closed will be available for three months from the date they are closed.  All immigrant visa cases created after 1991 and all Diversity Visa (DV) cases from the current fiscal year that have not been issued are available in CEAC Visa Status Check.  Immigrant visa cases that have been closed will be available for six months from the date they are closed.

Discover America

  • Discover America

Visas Blog